Supplier Development as the key to driving the Creative Economy
Maboneng Township Arts Experience, directed by Siphiwe Ngwenya, started an innovative initiative that has further transformed the lives of young people in Alexandra Township, Johannesburg.
With the support of The Learning Trust, the Social Employment Fund, and the Industrial Development Corporation, Maboneng Township Arts Experience has successfully created sustainable economic opportunities for young people through travel, while also promoting community development and social transformation.
One of the key ways that Maboneng Township Arts Experience engages with the community is through social and supplier development programs. Here are three examples of how young people are involved in different social and supplier development initiatives:
- Creative Arts Skills Development: Maboneng Township Arts Experience offers a range of creative arts skills development programs to young people in the community. Through these programs, young people are able to develop their artistic talents and learn valuable skills in areas such as music, dance, drama, and visual arts. The organization partners with local schools and community centers to provide access to these programs and to ensure that young people are given opportunities to showcase their talents.
- Entrepreneurship Training: Maboneng Township Arts Experience also offers entrepreneurship training to young people in the community. Through these programs, young people are taught business skills such as financial management, marketing, and sales. They are also given access to seed funding and mentorship to help them start and grow their own businesses. This initiative has helped many young people in the community to become successful arts and travel entrepreneurs, creating jobs and contributing to the local economy.
- Supplier Development: Maboneng Township Arts Experience also focuses on supplier development, working with local businesses and entrepreneurs to help them become more competitive and sustainable. The organization partners with local suppliers, offering them training in areas such as production, marketing, and distribution. By supporting local suppliers, Maboneng Township Arts Experience is able to create economic opportunities for the community while also promoting a culture of collaboration and mutual support.
Arts and Travel supplier development programs can help turn townships into towns in a number of ways. Here are two different sitings:
- Economic Growth: By promoting supplier development and supporting local entrepreneurs, Maboneng Township Arts Experience is contributing to the growth of the local economy. This, in turn, creates job opportunities and attracts investment into the community. As the local economy grows, the township becomes more self-sufficient and less reliant on external support.
- Social Transformation: Supplier development programs can also contribute to social transformation by creating a culture of entrepreneurship and self-sufficiency. When young people are given the skills and resources they need to start their own businesses, they become more empowered and less dependent on others. This, in turn, creates a sense of pride and ownership in the community, which can lead to further social and economic development.
The integrated development plan of Gauteng province recognizes the importance of initiatives like Maboneng Township Arts Experience in promoting economic growth and social development. The plan identifies supplier development as a key area of focus, highlighting the need for programs that support local businesses and entrepreneurs. By partnering with organizations like The Learning Trust, Social Employment Fund and the Industrial Development Corporation, Maboneng Township Arts Experience is playing a critical role in helping to achieve these goals and transforming the lives of young people in the township.